Sunset Sunset

Don't forget to credit Brad Breeck in the Newground 'Credits & Info' panel ! Made Me Realize is a wonderful song, and it fit the tune of this short film well.

My Little Pony: Cupcakes My Little Pony: Cupcakes

About the music...

I saw this on YouTube to different music, and I felt something was missing. The soundtrack here was correct, but it was lacking. Next time, you should use mroe powerful music. This IS a torture film. All I really have to say on the matter, I'm sure you'll learn better rigging in the future.

[s]Party:View Ritual [s]Party:View Ritual

GURPS

God, you get points for GURPS alone. The fact the Game Master was able to pull out a video must have been pretty awesome.

The Illusionist's Dream The Illusionist's Dream

This game was fantastic-- the music, the gameplay and the artwork are all beautifully molded together into a game that is worthy of carrying the title 'A Work of Art'. The subtle piano melodies on the main menu set the tune and tempo of the game itself, and the text lends to the atmosphere the game gives us. When you look at the work, you know exactly what kind of a game you will be playing, and it doesn't disappoint.

Before I let you bask in the glory that is your glowing review, I only have one piece of feedback to be made. While we clearly explored a Hero's Journey, we missed one crucial portion: the 'Journey'. The game can be completed in a manner of minutes, which is nice, but it also shows how little content is present. For elements of play like the falling fruits and the monkeys, we only got to experience a glimpse of what we could have. We see groundhogs once and they vanish; in no way are we prepared for the change of play that the demons bring. If you pursue a game like this in the future, with a well made concept and playability, remember that players want to mess with their new tools over a SPAN of levels. Too much information at rapid speed does not give the player-- the viewer-- time to appreciate the world they lives in and become attached to their characters.

This is certainly one of the best games I have played despite this lack of content, and can you consider that a flaw? I craved far more than you gave me, and that only goes to show how well put-together this game was. I'm surprised it didn't hit first place or rank for the weekly trophy-- you must have just released during a good time for games. Try and time your releases for maximum impact in the future! You can do it, I can tell!

The Rise of a Knight The Rise of a Knight

I'm not sure if it's entirely fair to critique such an old game, but we often learn best from looking back at our successes (as well as our failures). This game was composed well, but I can't help shake the feeling some of those songs have been used before. As for gameplay, well...

You had some brilliant use of the Heavy/Light/Special/Block combo that many fighting games use. In the typical fighting game, I often don't block or don't have to block to win; not so with this game. The way wolves travel in packs and you teamed up dangerous characters are just various ways you showed you knew how to set up mechanics and make them useful.

So the problem didn't lie in how the levels were set up; you did a beautiful job of that with the resources you had. The problem instead lay in how those mechanics were programmed. The hitboxes were way too big for both parties: the player's own hitbox should be entirely inside of all body parts (such as in the center of the torso), and collisions with attacks should be more precise. As for enemies, I was often able to hit them from a large distance with a sword (and vice-versa-- spearbearers often hit me from impossible distances). By shrinking collision boxes, you make fighting more realistic and close-combat than what we experienced here.

Additionally, the transition from one sprite to another does not always keep the origin (the 'center' actions are performed from) the same. I often found goblins glitching through my shield as the transition from one sprite to another moved them forward, just to make one example.

Introduction of mechanics ought to be slower and take place through gameplay, not force me to look to the summary for the control scheme.

To give some last feedback, cutscenes should be able to be navigated as if they were a slide show. The 'skip' option was a good inclusion, but I wanted to move to the next section of the cutscene-- not skip the entire sequence. Make sure that players can manually advance the cutscene with a key-press.

I think I'll go take a look at your other games when I get a chance! If you can, try and improve these details in future games (if you haven't already). I'm sorry about such a retroactive review, but maybe it's good to look back and see what you did right and wrong in your previous titles.

SeethingSwarm responds:

Well now this is a blast from the past! :D
Thanks for the in-depth review. This game is one of my first games I've ever made and yes, it has many flaws, but I did learn a lot from making it and from great feedback like yours. I'm actually still struggling with hit boxes and hit detection in my newer games, but I think I'm getting better. Oh, and yes I agree those cut-scenes could have been done a lot better by giving more control to the player.

As for the music, it has probably been in countless games and animations before. It was made by MaestroSegments (also known as MaestroRage) here on Newgrounds. The reason why I used his music is because it is amazing, at least at the time it was royalty free and not all of us possess the skill or the time to compose original music on top of programming, game design, animation etc... but I have composed my own music for quite a few of my other games. I do not see anything wrong with using somebody else's free music though. It helps to promote them!

Thanks for all the feedback, it's much appreciated!
Personally I do not think this game deserves only 1.5 stars all things considered, but I'm probably biased, and it's your review and your opinion :)

Heat Sink Heat Sink

My general thoughts about this:

There's a big issue that accounts for most of my score-- if it had not been there, you would have at the very least gotten a two and a half star submission. You've probably spent a lot of time getting the physics right on this game, but I'm afraid no amount of physics will help you when the game lags so badly I cannot play it. I'm not sure how this is coded, but I can make a reasonable assumption that you run very inefficient algorithms. While loops, do untils and 'for' statements tend to flat out stop a game in its tracks. It's your job as a programmer to make sure the game is efficient as possible when it comes to algorithms -- try doing research on Big O notation.

As for gameplay, you need to do more research into user interfaces. Find the best games here on Newgrounds and see how they fit neatly into the box provided-- not into a corner. All of the user interface is of the same color pallet, and text is never hard to see. Your elements show when they are being hovered over, which is fantastic, but there needs to be more to make it a 'good' interface. Development teams often have swaths of programmers dedicated entirely to the interface-- keep that in mind.

Finally, when in testing mode there was no demonstration of where the air currents were going. A good simulation game lets us see the air currents long after we placed the fans; the adjusted currents, even. Consider making the system draw a thin line that rebounds off surfaces and other currents of air, to represent the air currents.

In the end, I can't judge this fairly as a complete gadget. I have faith that you'll either be able to get your Big O to a reasonable level and improve the user interface before you resubmit, or find yourself working on an even greater game in the future.

UrbanHermitGames responds:

I'm curious what browser/platform you're using.Everything in here is O(N): there's no interaction between the particles and it uses a fixed, pre-calculated velocity field for all the fans/etc that is not updated during the simulation, so I doubt its the physics that's making it lag for you. The only thing I could really do to speed that up would be to use fewer temperature or dust particles, or to change the timestep (at which point the dust and temperature particles would start tunneling through the heat sink elements).

My guess is that there's some poor interaction between the canvas tricks I'm using and your browser (I'm testing with Opera 12 and Chrome, and it works at a reasonable rate for me in both of those). That suggests that there's either a graphics optimization that needs to be done, or some particular thing I'm doing here that is interacting poorly with your browser. Anyhow, if that is the case it'd be very useful for me to know so I can try to address the issue.

The air current/velocity field thing is a good idea, thanks for the suggestion!

[DJP] Space Indians [DJP] Space Indians

Up, up, down, down, left, right, left- what do you mean this isn't a game, Thompson? This is music, you say? How outrageous! I came here for games, and play I shall! (Proceeds to listen to tune)

(WF1) F-777- Phantom (Fin (WF1) F-777- Phantom (Fin

I always find myself returning to this song... damn you.

wyldfyre1 responds:

Your more then welcome to keep returning

Dangerous Grounds Dangerous Grounds

Similar to Moving Dark?

You already had me hooked...

The storm was a good touch. This song doesn't particularly loop well, but I found that the bells made up for any qualms I had during the song.

lanky21 responds:

Heya Chem! Thanks for the review! Now that I know your weakness to bells, nothing can stand in my way now....